Recipe: Slice one onion (into thin half-moons) and enough pickling or small cucumbers to fit tightly into a gallon's worth of small glass jars. Simmer together 4 cups of white vinegar, 4 cups of sugar, and 1/3 cup of plain salt to dissolve. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons each of mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric (for color). Pour the liquid over the cucumbers to cover, seal, and refrigerate. They'll be ready in about 24 hours, and will keep for a long while in the refrigerator, staying crunchy for several weeks at least!
Other surpluses have been fun too, like the giant bag of apricots that became clafouti and finally apricot jam. I've never made jam before, and I didn't use any gelatin, just sugar and lemon juice, cooking the fruit until a glob on a cold plate (stashed in the freezer) seemed to have a jammy consistency. I think it's delicious, but should probably defer to my local friends, upon whom I've foisted little jars of the stuff (I didn't bother with canning it, so it's got a shorter refrigerator lifetime).
Recipe: Cook on medium low about a pound of sliced apricots with about 3 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, the zest from one lemon, and a couple of tablespoons of water. If you do this in a pot that regulates heat well (like a Le Creuset or dutch oven), you can just stir occasionally, otherwise, you might need to stir more regularly. Cook for about an hour and a half, until the fruit breaks down, the color deepens, and the jam thickens. When it coats the back of a spoon, place a dollop on a plate that you've stashed in the freezer and see if it runs. When the cooled jam on the plate seems about the consistency you'd like, pour the jam into little glass jars, allow to come to room temperature, then seal and refrigerate.
We're going to miss our farmshare while we're in Maine for September, but I'm sure the Greenaways will enjoy it as much as we have - and with a few more mouths to feed in their household, they hopefully won't be as overwhelmed as we have been at times! Here's a few weeks worth of pictures - I like seeing how the harvest progresses from week to week...
2 comments:
I'll have to try some of these yummy pickles so I can have some variety eating my "cucumber a day"!
If I have any left, I'll bring them with us to ME! The recipe is super easy though, and it really tastes like you would expect, only fresher.
Post a Comment